Growing Greenhouse Tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, NC
Question by rosem9
This year I purchased a hobby greenhouse and would like to grow tomatoes throughout the winter. The Master Gardeners at the Extension Service said that I would need "day neutral" tomatoes. While I looked at the online catalogue, I didn't see any with this designation. Which ones should I get?

0

Day neutral simply means that plants will flower and produce fruit based upon temperature and plant maturity rather than because of day length. Unless you plan to replicate the heat and bright light of mid-summer in your greenhouse, you'll have better success with an early variety determinate tomato. Try growing Northern Exposure, Celebrity or Sweet Tangerine from Burpee. (Order toll-free at 800-888-1447). Hope you harvest a bumper crop!