daffodils - Knowledgebase Question

Ashburn, Ge
Question by gfhobby
I transplanted some daffodil bulb last spring. They came up but never bloomed. I thought I might have planted them too deep but don't think I could have planted all 200 bulbs too deep? What happened and will they bloom next year?

Daffodils will bloom reliably if they get some sunshine and if you allow the foliage to ripen before you remove it. It's okay to prune off the spent flower and stem but the leaves will spend 6-8 weeks manufacturing and transporting energy back to the bulbs for next year's flower. As long as you don't premature cut off the foliage, the bulbs will gather and store enough energy for flowering. Give your bulbs another year and they should flower for your next year. The only other thing that might keep them from blooming is if they are overcrowded and have to compete with one another for adequate moisture, sunshine and nutrients. Hope this provides enough information for you to determine just what the problem might be.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"