repotting - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by dxkita
I purchased a Eugenia 4 days ago and I would like to place in a planter for my porch. What are the steps to plant in new pot? Does the pot need drainage, if so, how do I provide that drainage?

You should be able to repot your Eugenia without causing too much stress to the plant. Start by finding a container with lots of drainage holes in the bottom; one that is at least one third as tall as your Eugenia so the plant will have adequate root room. Fill it with moistened potting soil and make a well in the center for the roots of your plant. Lay the Eugenia on its side and ease it out of the nursery pot, then set it in the well in the new container. Add or remove soil so the plant sits at the same soil level as it was growing in the nursery pot. Once you're happy with it, fill in around the sides of the root ball with moisten potting soil and tamp it down gently. Then water your plant to help settle the soil. Best wishes with your transplanting project!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"