What should I do? - Knowledgebase Question

markham, Il
Question by imjoerock
I have just extended my garden by tilling the dirt that use to be part of my lawn. The tilled portion now has grass mixed into the soil. I figured that if I was to cover this area with weed screen the inbedded grass will rot and act as compost. Did I just create a disater if so how can it be fixed?

0

There's a good possibility that the roots remaining the the soil will sprout and you'll have a grassy mess on your hands. It's still early enough in the season for you to repair the area. I'd pull out or rake out anything that is obviously turfgrass roots. You may need to rototill a second time to bring the roots up to the surface so you can remove them. Then place your weed barrier over the area and cut holes or slits in it to plant your veggies. The weed barrier will keep the grass from sprouting beneath it but you'll probably find grass growing wherever the sunlight reaches - edges of the planting bed and through the holes you cut for your plants. If you pull it out as soon as you recognize it, the roots will eventually run out of stored energy and die out. Just be persistent and you'll gain the upper hand!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"