hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Chesapeake, Vi
Question by vrbuterfli51
I brought my hibiscus in fall as you directed and cut it back. Just before spring new leaves started growing. When we had that 90 weather I put it outside. Since the cold came back I have no leaves! Is it going to come back? It's still in the pot but outside now. Should I take it out of the pot?

0

Tropical hibiscus can take the hot weather, but not the cold. I think it was especially susceptible to the cold snap because it had been growing indoors all winter long. As long as the roots remained alive, you should see new growth in a few weeks. April is a little too early to set the hibiscus outdoors. Late May or early June, when the weather is consistently warm will be a better target date for taking the plant out next year. As for right now, only time will tell. I hope the roots are okay. If so, you will see new leaves and stems by mid-May. I'd leave the plant outdoors for now. If another cold snap threatens, wrap the pot with bubble wrap or burlap or an old blanket to protect the roots. Hope your plant makes it!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"