bright pretty green grass - Knowledgebase Question

West Memphis, Ar
Question by pclem02
I have grass growing but not sure what kind it is. Have quiet abit of shade not sure if I should till it all up and start over with another type of grass or not?? Please help???

Since shade is a poor environment for turfgrass, it is essential to select shade tolerant grasses and then develop a good management program. The fine-leaf fescues are considered the most shade tolerant of the cool-season grasses. Creeping red fescue, Chewing?s fescue, sheep fescue and hard fescue all have shown promise in heavily shaded areas. Some varieties of Kentucky bluegrass and fine-bladed turf-type tall fescue have performed well in moderate shade.

There are ways to ensure success with your shaded turfgrass: Raise the mowing height. Increased mowing height induces larger root systems and healthier plants. Irrigate infrequently, but heavily. An irrigation program that minimizes the amount of time shaded areas are moist is beneficial in reducing disease. Infrequent watering also tends to minimize compaction and reduce shallow surface rooting. Reduce use of the area. Thin cell walled grass plants with little food reserve cannot bear much traffic without sustaining damage. Therefore, any effort to minimize traffic in shaded areas is beneficial. Provide good drainage. Poor drainage increases the possibility of disease activity. Remove leaves and debris promptly. Quick removal of leaves and debris all year long is essential as they shade the grass plant and reduce its food making potential.

At this point I think I'd rake out the bare areas and overseed, following the above guidelines. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"