My Poor Little Roses - Knowledgebase Question

los angeles, Ca
Question by corolthompso
Hi my name Corol. I recently purchased 5 different type of roses, and i was reading on the back that you suppose to keep them moist for a couple days. Therefore, I wake early every morning and give them a little spray with the hose (low power) However, the pedals are falling off them. I also recently mulched& feed them. So, my question is am I watering my roses too much? I dont want them to die.

0

If you recently planted your roses in the ground, they can suffer some transplant stress and you're likely to see some wilting and dying leaves. But as soon as the roots become established in their new homes you will see some healthy new growth. At that time you can prune off any dead or dying stems and leaves. The instructions were referring to soil moisture - hosing your roses off every morning won't really accomplish this and might even promote disease problems. So, don't get up so early! Instead, water the soil twice a week for the next two weeks. I find it easier to water correctly by making watering wells or basins beneath each plant to catch water. Fill the basin, allow the water to drain, then fill it a second time. This will concentrate the moisture directly over the root mass and the water will trickle down, wetting the whole root system. Once a week in the spring and twice a week in the summer is about all your roses will need in terms of water. Best wishes with your new roses!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"