orchids - Knowledgebase Question

carlsbad, Ca
Question by Nedra777
I hve an orchid thatwas dormant and then grew a long

Sounds like a new flowering stem. If the flower buds are dying before they open, the plant is not very happy. Here are some general growing tips: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Some orchids will rebloom on the same stem so I would leave the stem alone. If it does not flower again, the stem will die and you can then cut it off. A new flowering stem will emerge when your orchid is ready to flower again. Orchids bloom best when they are rootbound so don't be in a hurry to repot it. Best wishes with your orchid.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"