Planting 'upside down' - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by jillpetronio
This seems to be the rage. I want to try tomatoes and do my own planting. Sam's Club is selling a style of planter for this method. What do I need to know regarding soil, feeding, light, pest care etc. for this upside down tomatoe experiment? I live in Houston.

Upside down planters are all the new rage. All you'll need is a bag of regular potting soil. Moisten the soil first, then fill the bag and plant your tomato plant. You'll want to check daily for soil moisture (don't keep it soggy wet, but do water regularly). To feed, make a half strength dilution of a water soluable fertilizer such a Miracle Gro and apply it every 2-3 weeks. This way you won't burn the roots and yet the soil will have a constant supply of nutrients available to the plant. Insects and diseases aren't usually a problem - if you find insects, pick them off the plant. Because the plant will be exposed to lots of air circulation, diseases shouldn't pose a problem. Enjoy your experiment!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"