Lawn care - Knowledgebase Question

Hiram, Ge
Question by msdiane46
I fertilize and use weed control, but still have little grass and many weeds. I want more Bermuda. I have different varieties of grass growing among the weeds. Advice please??

If the bermuda is thin even though you feed and use weed control products it could be that the turf is not thriving because of soil compaction. You might try renting an aerator and aerating your lawn. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"