sweet sugar care - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
I got a bloomng Oncidium Sweet Sugar orchid about 2 years ago and it has not bloomed since. It is still green but I have neglected it. It sits outside in the shade. Is it too late to make it nice again. How do I take care of it? Does it need soil, sand, rocks? It definitely needs a new pot. Thank you.

Ordinarily orchids only need repotting every 3-4 years because they bloom best when their roots are crowded. If yours has outgrown its container you can purchase one that's slightly larger and fill it with a packaged orchid potting soil. Or, you can plant it in bark chips. You'll need to water your orchid on a regular basis and feed it in the spring with an orchid food. Without adequate moisture and nutrients it won't grow well or flower. Orchids need about 15 hours of bright light each day and a 10 degree drop between daytime temperatures to nighttime temperatures will encourage flowering. Since your plant is outdoors, you'll just have to wait for Mother Nature to provide all the right conditions. When she does, your orchid will flower. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"