Rose of Sharon blossoms won't open - Knowledgebase Question

plainfield, Il
Question by sharicecchi
3 years ago I purchased 2 rose of sharon bushes from Home Depot. They were loaded with flower buds at the time, but they never bloomed. The next 2 years they again were loaded with buds, but only a handful ever opened into blossoms. Is there something I can do or need to do to get the buds to open?

It's possible that bud worms are feeding inside the unopened buds. Their feeding can damage the flowers to the point where the buds won't open. You can check for budworms by pulling a few of the unopened buds from the plant and either peeling them open to look for the pests or placing the flower buds in a plastic baggie and setting it in the sun. It usually gets hot enough for the little worms to want to escape. If you don't find any bud worms, the failure to bloom is either cultural or environmental. Rose of Sharon needs to be in all day sunshine and appreciates regular deep soakings. Hope this informations helps you determine just what might be going on with your plants.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"