japanese maple - Knowledgebase Question

Question by jstreet766
i work at HD and need to know the smallest variety of jap. maple...my neighbor has one that has not grown an inch in 3 years and is only about 4-5' tall...what variety stays the smallest? thanks for all your help!!

Japanese maples are traditionall slow growing. Laceleaf or Dissectum maple cultivars
typically grow to about 5' high and wide at maturity (at about 10 years of age). These include Baldsmith, Beni kumo no su (Red Spiderweb), Beni shidare, Crimson Queen, Emerald Lace, Filigree, Flavescens, Green Hornet, Hana motai, Jeddeloh Orange, Inaba shidare, Lemon-Lime Lace, Lion Heart and Otto's Dissectum.

The smallest I know of is the dwarf Japanese maple ?Red Pigmy?. It has thin, strap-like leaves with excellent red color. The plant is slow growing and dwarf to 4? in ten years, and will grow as wide as it grows tall.

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"