Was Tree already fertilized before buying it - Knowledgebase Question

Manteca, Ca
Question by rozemist
I just last week bought a meyer Improved lemon tree in a pot at the home depot nursery,are these trees already fertilized before purchasing them , I need to know this so that I can know if my young tree will need fertilizing ,it will remain in the pot that I bought it in until time to transplant in the future.I would like to know the age of this tree as well.

0

I wouldn't feed the tree until you've transplanted it. If that will be many months from now you can feed every 4 weeks with a half strength dilution of a water soluable fertilizer such as Miracle Gro. Plants in containers can suffer if they are overfed and granular fertilizers can actually burn the roots. So feed with a half strength dilution of water soluable fertilizer and your tree will be happy. You didn't say what size pot your tree is in so I can't tell you how old it is but generally a 2-3 year old tree will be in a one gallon pot; a 4-5 year old tree will be in a 5 gallon pot and a 6-8 year old tree will be in a 10 gallon pot.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"