What should I plant? - Knowledgebase Question

Wilmington, De
Question by webdot2009
I need a perennial that will grow 5' to 7' High and that will flower including the month of september. It will go behind a concert/stone sign. It can spread in wideth but can't outward of 4'. Also what other Pernnials will go with it? The sign is 10'L x 4'H. I want it to show from the front side 1 to 2 feet higher than the sign. What month can I buy it from homedepot and the other plants needed

0

It's really difficult to find a plant to fit your criteria. Not many bloom in the fall. Some exceptions might be Winter Snowman or Winter Start Camellia, or a Hawthorne. Nandina doesn't bloom in the fall but the leaf color changes from green to a reddish color and the foliage of Starburst witchhazel changes to a bright yellow. Each of the shrubs mentioned grow tall and you can prune them to make them fit in your 4' wide area. Traditional flowering perennials for the fall include chrysanthemums, Aster novi-belgii (Michaelmas Daisy), Caryopteris (Blue Mist Shrub), Sedum 'Autumn Joy', and Solidago (Goldenrod). Garden centers typically have the best selection in the springtime so I'd choose the plants now and get them in the ground. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"