Organic soil additive - Knowledgebase Question

Escondido, Ca
Question by ginnydrake
I have mixed organic additive to my home vegetable bed, but something in this material is chomping on my vegs. This does not happen with vegs in regular SuperSoil. Can you offer any suggestions?

0

I'm not sure what might be in the organic additive you've incorporated into your garden that would munch on your plants. While all decomposing organic matter can contain insects, they typically are considered good guys in that they feed within the organic matter and help break it down. They generally don't attack live plant material. On the other hand, the organic additive may be attractive to insect pests. Adult insects can fly into your garden and decide it's a perfect place to lay eggs. At this point you'll want to figure out just what might be living in the soil and attacking your plants. Check your plants several times a day to see if you can find the culprits. Once you do, have them identified so you know what you're dealing with. There are lots of organic controls but most are insect specific - that's why you need to identify the pest. Wish I had more to offer!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"