Bee Balm does not bloom - Knowledgebase Question

st. louis, Mi
Question by marycstace
I have had bee balm in my garden for a number of years. Although they were red when purchased, when they bloom, which is very infrequent, they are white. I purchased another plant last year and which again had very limited blooming and leggy stems. Is there a particular nutrient I need to add? They are planted in partial sun...the sunniest spot I have.

Bee balms perform best in full sun. While the plants will tolerate partial shade, they won't flower as heavily and will be more susceptible to powdery mildew. This probably explains why yours don't flower very well. Deadheading the spent flowers will encourage more blooms, so give that a try. Leggy plants also indicate lack of sufficient sunshine. Bee balm freely reseeds so I wonder if your former red flowering plant died out and a new plant emerged the following spring? You'll probably have more success with your bee balm if you plant it in a container and set it in a sunnier spot rather than planting in a garden spot that's only partially sunny. Best wishes with your garden.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"