bartlett/bosco pear trees - Knowledgebase Question

okanogan, Wa
Question by skolander
hve 3yr old bartlett,need to cross pollinate.So I bought a Basco pear.How soon will I get fruit seeins how theres 21/2 yrs difference in age.Also I know Bartlett is a good canning pear.I assume the Basco is more of a fresh eat variety.Will this combination work for cross pollination? As ALWAYS you people are GREAT.Thank You

0

For cross pollination, the age of the tree isn't as important as the bloom time. Some pears bloom earlier or later than others so when you choose a pollinator, it should bloom at about the same time. You chose well - Bosc and Bartlett will cross pollinate and you'll get heavier crops on both trees. Bosc pear is delicious fresh and great for cooking and canning. Your trees are both pretty young so give them another year or maybe two before expecting a crop of pears. Thanks for the kudos - we're here to help. Best wishes with your pear trees.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "