Dahlias, Daffs, and Cannas - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
We can cut the stem off our daffs now, right? Just cut the stem and not the leaves?
I have dahlias in the basement that I stored this winter.
When can I plant my dahlias outside?

I just bought a gorgeous callas lilly. What fertilizer
should I give it and how often? Also, I hope to keep it in a pot on my porch. It will have semi-sun. Is that OK? or does it need full sun?
I plan on keeping it in the pot and then putting it into my basement this winter. Will the bulbs be OK in the pot all winter or do I have to take the bulbs out of the pot and dry them and then store them in the basement?
Thanks, Dorian

You're right on all accounts. Cutting off the flowering stem but leaving the foliage alone will ensure the bulbs draw as much energy from the leaves as possible so they can grow larger and develop flowers next spring. It's best to take the bulbs out of the pot and store them for the winter months. Bulbs in the ground can tolerate your winter weather but bulbs in pots can freeze solid, then turn to mush.

Dahlia tubers can go in the ground in late May or early June. Calla lilies can be fed with an all purpose 10-10-10 fertilizer. They flower best in full sun but will be fine in part sun.

Enjoy your flowers!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"