Yellowing Gardenia - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by smtippett
I have a very established Gardenia and it leaves are yellowing. What could possibly be the cause and what should I do? It is approximately 5 ft tall at this time, and seems healthy otherwise.

0

Yellowing leaves, especially lower down on the plant and from the inner parts of the branches is normal this time of year. Your plant is shedding older leaves in preparation for developing healthy new leaves. On the other hand, if all the leaves are yellowing, it could indicate overwatering or a need for an application of iron. If you haven't fed your gardenia recently, it may be showing a nutrient deficiency. I'd feed it, and watch the watering. The soil should be allowed to dry out slightly between waterings. A final suggestion - inspect the leaves and stems for signs of insect pests. Spidermites are common on gardenias and their feeding can cause a stippling and yellowing of the leaves. Look for the tiny insects on the undersides of leaves and look for webbing on the stems between the leaves. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be going on with your gardenia.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"