Gardenia trouble - Knowledgebase Question

Galloway, Oh
Question by Alejandragim
I bought a gardenia recently, and after I fed it (the right fertilizer following the instructions) most of the leaves turned yellow and started to fall. The flowers also turned yellow. The plant is near a window, but it only receives morning sun (and then indirect light most of the day). Is there anything I can do to save this plant? thank you!

0

I don't think the fertilizer caused the yellowing leaves. I'm more inclined to think your new gardenia is trying to adjust to its new home. I suspect your plant was grown in a greenhouse where it got perfect temperatures and exposure to light. Things are not the same in your home and your plant is trying to adjust. Gardenias, because they are evergreen, regularly lose their oldest leaves, but new leaves are generally produced to replace them. If only the innermost leaves are turning bright yellow, that's probably the cause. If the new growth is also turning yellow, it can indicate overwatering. Water only as often as necessary to keep the soil damp but not soggy wet. Give your gardenia a little more time to adjust and I'm sure it will perk up. I hope so!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"