Lighting - Knowledgebase Question

Spring Hill, Fl
Question by TSaff17202
I live in Florida and just brought home a couple of Orchid's. It say's Filtered Light. What is Filtered Light? My Wife wants to put the Orchids in front of a window that is faceing a western window exposer. Is this a good area in the home to put these Orchid's or should they be away from a window?

0

Filtered light equates to bright light, but not direct sunshine. A spot with western exposure is fine, as long as there's a curtain to block direct sunshine, or as long as you move the plants a few feet from the window where they can bask in the light but not become sunburned because of direct sunshine.

Orchids are some of the most popular and rewarding houseplants! There are many, many kinds, each with different requirements, but here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Some orchids will rebloom on the same stem so I would leave the stem alone. If it does not flower again, the stem will die and you can then cut it off. A new flowering stem will emerge when your orchid is ready to flower again. Orchids bloom best when they are rootbound so don't be in a hurry to repot it. Wait until next year and then find a container just slightly larger than the current one and use wood chip based orchid mix potting soil. Enjoy your new orchids!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"