Disposing of Junipers - Knowledgebase Question

Roswell, Ge
Question by claudiathomp
I'd like to get rid of some horrible looking juniper shrubs in my front yard. Once I dig them out, what do I do to the soil? Right now I'm not sure what to plant as a substitute. Do I need to plant something else immediately, or is there something I can do to prepare the soil for when I do want to plant?

0

Digging the junipers is the first step. I'd cut them down, leaving only 6-8 inches of stem exposed (to make a handle for pulling). Dig around until you expose the root system and pull them out, roots and all. You can then amend your soil with compost or other organic matter. Spread 3-4 inches of organic matter over the area and dig it into the soil, then level the soil. If you don't plant anything right away you might want to cover the bare soil with another 2-3 inches of organic matter to help suppress weeds. Best wishes with your new plants.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"