Dying Phitzer Junipers - Knowledgebase Question

Cherry Hills Village, Co
Question by sylpro15
I live near Denver, CO. I have many phitzers in my yard. Last year, they started turning brown. They are in even worse condition now. Can you tell me what might be killing them?

0

It's nearly impossible to diagnose a plant problem without seeing, or knowing the kind of cultural care it has been receiving. But, I can tell you the most common problems with junipers. Cold winter winds can dessicate the foliage so if the browning is on the outer tips of the foliage, winter damage is probably the cause - especially if it is more damaged on one side than the other. If the browning is on the inner parts of the branches, insect feeding (spidermites, etc.) may be the problem. A third possibility is root rot. This can happen even when you are careful about watering. If the planting site does not drain quickly, the soggy soil can suffocate the roots. Wish I could be more specific and more helpful!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"