Asian Pear tree won't grow - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by mcsetraveler
I planted an Asian Pear tree 2 years ago, (6 feet)but it is not growing and seems to die each winter, but comes back each spring, same goes for a mandarin orange I planted, except it's smaller,i.e 3 feet, and blooms and gives off fruit, except fruit does not ripen and stays green for over 6 months, then kinda ripens and drops.
Thanks for reading

I think the first question is - are your Asian pear and mandarin orange trees getting all day sunshine? If not, they won't develop (or ripen) fruit. Asian pears are still being evaluated by Texas A & M. There's some question as to how they will perform and what you've mentioned with yours is typical of reports to the university. At this point I can only suggest you replant your tree somewhere close to the house or a windbreak where winter weather will be less severe. With any luck your Asian pear tree will mature and be more tolerant of the winter weather. As for your mandarin tree, if it is flowering it should develop fruit to maturity. Try resituating it if it is not getting all day sunshine. Water it deeply once or twice a week, and feed it with citrus fertilizer, in amounts as recommended on the package. Best wishes with your fruit trees.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"