pink lilac-no flowers - Knowledgebase Question

NEWTON, Ma
Question by joan_derubei
I have a pink lilac that I planted about 5 years ago. The bush does very well in foliage but I've never had any flowers on it. Could this be a lack of sun issue...its gets early morning sun only.
Any auggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you.

0

Only three or four things affect the flowering on lilacs. The first is plant immaturity - which doesn't sound like it fits your situation. The second is lack of sufficient sunshine, which does fit your situation. Lilacs need all day sunshine in order to bloom. Other reasons for non-blooming are too much nitrogen fertilizer which can encourage lush, green growth at the expense of flowering, and pruning at the wrong time of year. Lilacs develop flower buds on the new growth of the summer and those flower buds open the following spring. If your lilac isn't getting enough sunshine, spring is an excellent time to move it!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"