groundcover removal - Knowledgebase Question

Baton Rouge, LA
Question by gyrlsthang
I've had groundcover (jupiter)in a bed for years and I've decided to remove it to plant and flower garden. problem is I've been cutting down with the lawnmower then tilling over the past couple of years only for it to return. what can I use to completely remove the roots and all without killing the soil so I can plant a flower garden.

0

Sounds like it's time for an herbicide application. You can use Round Up to kill the vegetation. When the jupiter is dead, rake it out of the bed, roots and all. If you miss some of the underground roots with the herbicide, they may sprout and you'll need to spot treat them. I wouldn't plant anything until you're sure the jupiter is dead. Round Up is a vegetation killer that will be transported down to the roots of the weedy plant but it won't move in the soil. As long as you rake out the dead plants and roots, the soil won't retain any of the chemical. Read the label - I think there's a 3 week waiting period after using Round Up and before planting in the bed. Good luck with your eradication project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"