Pine Tree and Compatible Plants - Knowledgebase Question

Alameda, Ca
Question by llcox55
I live in Alameda,CA and I have 2 pine trees (est.9ftx9ft) in the front of the house. The prior people in our house cut the tops in order to look over them when you are standing on the front porch (so they are not very pleasing to the eye). I want some

0

It can be difficult to get plants to grow beneath pine trees. The roots of the pines will compete for moisture and nutrients which means the soil will be dry. And, it's likely to be acidic because of the needle drop. Some perennials and shrubs that tolerate those conditions include azaleas, hydrangeas, daylilies, astilbe, cimicifuga, convallaria (lily of the valley, bleeding heart, coral bells, hosta, and most ferns. You can fill in with colorful annuals - impatiens, lobellia, and begonias. Hope this information helps you plan a colorful garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"