Planting Fall Bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

SCHWENKSVILLE, Pe
Question by WISHINGIWASF
I didn't plant my bulbs in the Fall, may I plant them this Spring?

0

You may have already missed the opportunity for planting your bulbs. Spring flowering bulbs are planted in the fall because they require 12-16 weeks of cold weather in which to develop roots. Once the roots develop the bulbs flower and develop foliage. The foliage should be allowed to ripen and die down naturally because it is busy manufacturing and transporting energy back to the bulb for the following year's floral display. If you plant your bulbs now they will sprout but not develop roots. When the bulbs run out of energy, growth will stop and the bulbs will die. Without roots they cannot take up water and nutrients.

You can plant them, just to see what happens. Consider it an experiment. If they grow and flower, great. If they grow but don't flower, you might choose to leave them and see if they'll flower the following spring. Most likely they'll neither grow nor flower in which case they'll simply disappear into the soil. Wish I had better news for you!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"