Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Plymouth, Ma
Question by jstitleist
I bought a home in September of 2009 and the lawn is thin and has many weeds including moss. Most of my neighbors have very nice lawns, green and full. What do I need to do to get my lawn in great shape. Do I need to get rid of the weeds before doing anything else? Should I aerate and seed? As you can see I need a lot of help and I do not know where to begin or what to do.

0

I'm not convinced you're a beginner! You seem to know that your lawn needs aeration and overseeding along with weed control. Moss is a symptom of too much shade, poor drainage and compacted soils. I think I'd start with weed control. Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 will feed your lawn and take care of those weeds. Wait at least 3 weeks after application then aerate your lawn and overseed it. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn.

Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "