amaryllis - Knowledgebase Question

No Ft Myers, Fl
Question by Mascott194
A friend gave me an amaryllis in water.I'm not sure what to do. It has very long thin leaves but no flower.She was going back up north & left it with me. I live in SW Florida & don't no where to plant it.

0

If the leavces are thin, your amaryllis is not getting enough light. I'm a little confused about you having one in water. Amaryllis grows from a bulb and if you keep the bulb submerged in water, it will die. If the bulb is at least one half exposed with only the roots submerged, you can plant it in the ground in your garden.

Amaryllis does best in light shade such as under pine trees. In heavy shade, they will be thin and spindly and flower poorly. Amaryllis requires well-drained soils. If the site does not drain properly, create a raised bed to provide improved drainage. Once the site has been prepared, plant the bulb with the neck of the bulb protruding above the ground. Water your newly planted amaryllis and keep it moist but not waterlogged until the plant is well-established.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "