Bermuda lows - Knowledgebase Question

Concord, No
Question by spanky1021
have bermuda grass with low spots poor sod install. I heard that leveling w/ play sand will help ? Thanx Tim

0

Probably the least expensive solution is to spread top soil (not sand) over the low spots to help level the yard. You can spread it right over any grass that is growing in these areas. The grass will eventually grow through the topsoil as long as you spread less than an inch over the top. If more is needed, allow the grass to grow through the added topsoil, then spread another inch of topsoil on top, allowing the grass to grow through. Repeat until the soil and turf are at the right level. If you want it to green up sooner you can broadcast grass seeds over the top soil. I've tackled a similar project and it isn't too difficult except for hauling the top soil (I used a wheelbarrow). I used a shovel to drop soil over the low spots, raked it around and then checked the level by dragging a 6' 2"X4" over the lawn. When I was satisfied I had filled in all the holes and ruts, I reseeded, sprinkled a thin layer of peat moss over the reseeded areas to help keep the grass seeds moist. Grass will sprout in 7-10 days if kept from drying out. In 4-6 weeks your lawn should look great. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"