Brown and Yellow Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Bowie, Ma
Question by JustMeBernie
I recently(3 wks ago) purchased a beautiful peace lily with white blooms. Well, the leaves are now turning yellow and brown and not looking as healthy as when I bought it. This is my second attempt at the peace lily(the first one died a horribly dealth). It gets plenty of sun and water. What am I doing wrong? Please help....

Peace lilies are reasonably easy to take care of - sorry, not trying to rub it in!
For best results it should be grown in a spot with bright but indirect light. In lower light it tends not to bloom. It also tends not to bloom if underfertilized. To feed it, use a water soluble fertilizer for foliage plants at the lower rate on the label, use it from spring to fall and stop for the winter.

The brown leaves could be due to dry air (use a humidifier or set it on a tray of pebbles filled with water) or possibly due to mineral buildup in the soil. You can leach out any buildup by watering heavily, allow excess to drain out, then water heavily again in quick succession and allow the excess to drain out.

Be sure to empty the saucer under the plant of any excess water any time you water. Brown and/or yellowing foliage can also happen if the plant is allowed to wilt between waterings. Watering frequency depends on the environment where the plant is growing and how large the plant is in relation to the pot. Repotting can be done if the plant wilts very soon after watering (the roots have outgrown the container). On a final note, any browned foliage can be trimmed off neatly. I hope this information helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"