Black/gray spots on tomato plant - Knowledgebase Question

Columbia, Mi
Question by helen_litovs
I bought a topsy turvy and put tomatoes in it. Now my plants have black spots that are turning grayish white. What could it be and how to i treat it organically?

0

I don't think the black spots are related to growing your tomatoes in a topsy turvy planter. Tomato plants are susceptible to all kinds of fungal and bacterial diseases. What you describe sounds like Early blight (Alternaria leaf spot) which is caused by the fungus Alternaria solani. This disease produces brown to black, target-like spots on older leaves. If the disease has just begun, you can pick or prune off the affected leaves to help stop the spread of the disease. Septoria leaf spot is less common than early blight. It, too, is a fungal disease. Characteristic symptoms are white or gray spots on leaves, surrounded by a black or brown margin. Control is the same - pick off the affected leaves. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"