Fast growing hedge/bush for privacy in Pennsylvania - Knowledgebase Question

Erie, Pe
Question by Tsunny43
I am in need of some privacy for about 100ft of my yard (nosy neighbor). I prefer not to spend too much but would like some advice on what I could plant that ould grow quick. I don't care what it is. It is well-drained area with mostly full sun.

0

Emerald Green Arborvitae are relatively fast growers among the evergreens, you might see a foot and a half a year or slightly more. You can prune them back if they threaten to get too tall. They need soil that is evenly moist meaning damp like a wrung out sponge. As new plants, they will need watering to supplement rain for the first year. To know if you need to water, dig into the soil with your finger. If it is still damp do not water yet. When you do water, apply it slowly and thoroughly so it soaks down deep. Maintain a layer of organic mulch over the root area. It should be two to three inches thick and spread out in a flat layer, do not allow it to touch the trunk or bark. The mulch will help keep the soil evenly moist.

Leyland Cypress (Cupressocyparis leylandii) is another fast-growing evergreen. It grows about 3 to 4 feet per year and can reach heights of 50 feet or more with a 15- to 25-foot spread. It should be planted in full sun in a well-draining, fertile soil. It will tolerate acidic and alkaline soils, partial shade and salt spray. Plant them about 5- to 7-feet apart when using the as a privacy fence. It is also drought resistant and requires little maintenance.

Best wishes with your new plants.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "