Lawn care - Knowledgebase Question

virginia beach,, Vi
Question by rohina_altaa
two weeks ago i took out weeds and crab grass that left some parts of my lawn bare. i reseeded the areas and watered it for one week but nothing happened. All bare areas are with out grass. Then my husband firtilized it, but he put too much firtilizer. Now we have patches with no grass and patches of yellow burned grass.we still have weeds and crab grass. What should we do now?

0

When you say you took out the weeds and crabgrass did you mean that you pulled or dug them out? Or did you use a crabgrass weed killer product? If you used an herbicide, I suspect it had some residual pre-emergent qualities and pre-emergents will keep seeds - whether weed or grass seed - from germinating. This might explain why your grass seeds did not sprout. You'll need to wait another 3-4 weeks for the pre-emergent to degrade before you can get grass seeds to sprout. Too much fertilizer can kill grass but with any luck at all, it only killed the tops and the roots are still alive. I'd forget about weed control at this point and concentrate on getting your lawn healthy. Water deeply once or twice a week to help the lawn green up (and to flush out some of the extra fertilizer. When the lawn begins to look a little healthier (in 3-4 weeks) you can apply a weed control product such as Bayer Season Long Weed Control. It will control most lawn weeds.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "