Peony Staking - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
I have used this rounded staking system for my peonies, but when I put it in, I thought they were close to blooming. Another 3-5 inches of growing later, I'm worried this staking is too low, Peonies really flop once they bloom and then it rains. Any guidelines for how high the support should be to stake these?

There's no rule for how high your stakes or support system needs to be. Peony flowers are heavy and, you're right, they can bend over when they are wet with rain. But, healthy stems should be able to hold them mostly upright. There are special peony stakes with adjustable hoops that you can move up or down depending upon how tall your peony plant grows. If yours is not adjustable you may need to drive a few bamboo stakes in next to your plant. These are dyed a nice foliage-green color and won't be noticeable, unless you look really hard! You can then tie the flower stems to the stakes to help keep them upright. Good luck with your peonies!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"