hollyhocks - Knowledgebase Question

Deer Park, Ne
Question by msd8117
I purchased 4 hollyhock plants last year they were planted in sunny area and staked! plants never took off. I was reembursed thru company i bought them from w/ four new hollyhocks.What do I need to do to help these plants grow and bloom??

I love hollyhocks! These spectacular plants need lots of sunshine and well draining soils. If you haven't already, mix some compost into the planting bed prior to planting your hollyhocks. They need a deep soaking once or twice a week depending upon weather, and you can feed them by side dressing with a Bloom Booster fertilizer ( in amounts as recommended on the label). Some of the newer hybrid hollyhocks are shorter than the old-fashioned heirlooms. You didn't say which variety you planted, but that's something to check out. Most hollyhock varieties don't bloom until their second year. They do have large leaves and tend to grow in a low clump for a year, and can create quite a mound. They don't always start growing upwards until they're getting ready to bloom. Hope this information helps you grow beautiful and healthy hollyhocks.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"