Growing Roses - Knowledgebase Question

fort Worth, Te
Question by goyalmk16
I am planning to grow roses in my garden. i have a location where we have sun for abut 4-5 hours and the area is kind of wetty area. can i grow roses in that location? if yes, is this the good time or we are late now? i found different names on roses, suggest me some name with good colour and fragrance for Dallas, TX area.
Thanks

0

Roses won't flower well without at least 8 hours of full sunshine so I don't think that site is a good one, especially if the soil remains wet. If you want to try to grow roses inspite of the lack of sunshine, you'll need to raise the planting area by importing some top soil to make a mound. Plant on top of the mound and the roots of your roses will be happy and healthy. Three rose cultivars that are especially well suited to your growing region include Frau Dagmar Hastrup Shrub Rose =
Frau Dagmar Hastrup is a bush rose that grows to 5 feet tall and grows well in moist, well-drained soils. This trouble-free roses produces large, silvery-pink blooms throughout the summer that turn into bright red hips in the fall. The bright green foliage is glossy, disease-resistant, and deeply veined. It blooms in June and will repeat bloom sporadically through the summer.

Carefree Beauty Shrub Rose is a tough shrub rose and is adapted to moist, yet well-drained soil conditions. It grows about 36 inches tall and equally as wide. Carefree Beauty produces delicate clusters of semi-double rose pink blooms starting in June and will continue flowering throughout the summer. The fragrance is pronounced and sweet. Orange hips can be expected in the fall.

Madame Hardy Antique Rose is a once blooming antique rose that's hardy and grows best in moist, well drained soil. With its strongly scented blooms of delicate white, Mme. Hardy is one of the most popular of the old garden roses. Despite the moderately thorned canes, it should find a place in the spring bouquet.

Enjoy your new rose garden!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"