wisteria - Knowledgebase Question

Williamstown, Ne
Question by DebbieW12
Could you please tell me how to root wisteria and the best place and conditions for planting

Thank you

0

Wisteria grows best in full sunshine, in rich, moist, well draining soils. The best way to propagate a wisteria is through a method called layering. I think this is the easiest method. You can start these any time the ground is workable. Layering can take an entire summer season but it is easy to do. To do it, simply bend a branch down to the ground in a "U" shape. Loosen the soil where it touches the ground. Wound the branch a bit on the underside where it touches the soil, and bury that base of the U lightly allowing the growing tip to show above ground. Cover the buried section with several inches of organic mulch such as shredded bark and weight it down with a rock if needed. Water occasionally to keep it moist but not soggy and check periodically for roots. Once a nice set of roots has developed you can separate it from the mother plant and plant it in its new spot in the garden. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"