Rust colored spots on tomatoes - Knowledgebase Question

phoenix, Ar
Question by jgnutty1
I have noticed rust colored spots on my tomatoes. The tomatoes are still green. I wast told it is rust which is a fungus. My question is, what can I use that is not a poison (we are trying to keep our garden totally organic? Also, how can we keep this from happening? We also seem to get aphids really bad every year do you have any suggestions about what we can do to get rid of them?

It sounds like Septoria which is a fungal disease. You can control it with a copper-based fungicide (such as Bonide). The best way to avoid fungal diseases is to rotate your tomato crops each year so you're not planting them in the same spot in the garden, plant disease resistant cultivars, make sure there's plenty of space between plants for good air circulation and try to keep water off the foliage. Insecticidal soap will take care of the aphids. Both copper fungicides and insecticidal soaps are considered least toxic methods of controlling diseases and insects and organic gardeners use them when needed.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"