vertical gardening - Knowledgebase Question

kingston, Te
Question by davisjules35
i ran out of room in my garden with all my veggies and still want to plant watermelon and cantolope can you tell me how to grow these vertically

You can build a trellis and train the vines up the trellis but when they set fruit you'll need to provide a sling of soft material to hold each of the fruits and secure the slings to the trellis. If you just allow the melons to hang from the vines, their weight will break the vines. An alternative to training the vines up a trellis is to plant your melons in a large above-ground container and allow the vines to spill over the top and onto the ground so when they set fruit, the vines will be supported by the earth. While they will still take some room in your garden, they won't require nearly as much. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"