Hybiscus Plant - Knowledgebase Question

westport, Ma
Question by cropiteer
I have a rather large hybiscus plant that I've had indoors all winter. We've pruned it twice the leaves keep trying to grow but it looks like aphids on the leaves. I've tried soapy water and alchol, but neither have worked. I have pets so until I move it out onto the deck I'm afraid to use anything stronger. Any suggestions? Should it be pruned again once its outside or transplanted?

0

Aphids normally go for the new growth so pruning your hibiscus back to remove the insects is a good control measure. You can prune it whether it's inside or out, or recently transplanted. Insecticidal soap will kill them on contact (it contains fatty acids which will dissolve their soft bodies). Once your plant is outdoors, lady bugs and predacious wasps will help keep the aphid population under control. Best wishes with your hibiscus.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"