Evergreens Planting - Knowledgebase Question

Minneapolis, Mi
Question by daniel_krame
I have planted several dwarf alberta spruce schrubs. I planted them two weeks ago, I installed 3 inch of multch, and have watered then with a hose for 3-5 min. each everyday. When they were installed they had new growth on the tips , but now the new growth has turned brown and not the light green it was when they were planted. An I giving it to much water or not enough?

Thanks

Dan

0

You're probably giving them too little water too often. The goal in watering is to soak the soil down to the root level and then allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. I'd make a watering well or watering basin beneath each spruce to facilitate watering. Remove the mulch and dig out some soil; mound it up all around the plant, about 12" from the stem. When it's time to water, fill the basin, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the water directly over the rootmass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the whole root system. Once a week is all your plants should need - twice a week if the weather is really hot. Best wishes with yoyur new plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"