HELP! I HAVE SNAKES - Knowledgebase Question

Camden, Ne
Question by vamackall
About a month ago I ran across a large garter snake. Fast forward three weeks I uncovered a nest of baby snakes (8 but 2 got away) currently they are in a large clay pot. My question..Is there such a thing as snake repellant? I just started growing grass in the front half and wanted to put in a patio in the back half any suggestions. I'm afraid to keep raking. By the way I live in the city!!

0

What you've found are garter snakes and they are considered beneficial in the garden. They feed on a wide variety of beetles, snails, slugs, etc. I'd release them and let them find their way out of the landscape. They will make a quick exit when you walk near them and will be especially happy to leave if you start up your lawn mower. They won't all hang around in your landscape - instead they'll move on to find their own hunting grounds. There are some repellants you can use. Snake Away is one; moth balls scattered around the yard will also deter them. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"