planting in clay in a shaded area - Knowledgebase Question

Mason, Oh
Question by hopester1709
I have a bed that is completely clay & is in a shaded area. I would like to fill the bed with plants but have no idea what would thrive there. Can you help me?

0

There are quite a number of perennials that will grow in clay soils in your gardening zone. Acanthus will accommodate itself to the heavier soils; Achillea will grow anywhere; Aconitum or monkshood is a classic lover of heavier soils.

Alcea or Hollyhocks surprisingly grow well on clay soils, Amsonia, Anchusa, Anemone, Asters, Bergenia, Campanula, Chrysanthemum (Shasta Daisies), coreopsis, Echinacea, Echinops, Geranium, Helenium, Helianthemum or perennial sunflowers, hellebore, Daylilies, Iris, Monarda or beebalm, Rudbeckia - especially 'Goldsturm', Salvia, Senecio, Solidago, and Verbascums will survive and thrive on the regular moisture of clay.

Hope this short list is helpful.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"