Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Auburn, Wa
Question by heine25
My Lawn suffers from Grubs, lots of moss,(all the lawns in the neighborhood do) & crab grass. I know there are products to overcome these problems, but in what order do I apply. I have used moss killer and I have thatched. The lawn is now thin with patches of soil. I want to seed, but do I do this prior to getting rid of grubs and crab grass, and when do I fertilize.
Thanks for any help.

Crabgrass can be controlled with a pre-emergent which stops the seeds from germinating in the spring. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass but they will not kill the newly sprouted seedling. Late April to early May is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. With that said, the chemical will also keep grass seeds from germinating so if you apply a crabgrass preventer now, you'll need to wait 4-6 weeks before overseeding your lawn. Check the product label for the waiting period before sowing grass seeds.

Grubs are deep down in the soil during the cold weather and don't start working their way up to feed on the roots of your grass until late summer. You can apply Bayer Advanced Season Long Grub control or Grubex in July or August.

If you choose a fertilizer with a crabgrass control product you can kill two birds with one stone. However if you use a product such as Scotts Turf Builder with Halts, you'll need to wait 4 months before overseeding. So you may want to wait until this fall to overseed or you may want to use something with a shorter residual so you can overseed in June. (Decisions, decisions!) Again, check the label for recommended waiting periods.

If you choose to use a separate pre emergent and fertilizer, you can feed your lawn in April, June, September and late November with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK.

Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"