ferns - Knowledgebase Question

lupton, Mi
Question by letmeoutside
I would like to know how to get fern plants from the wild to grow in my yard without needing to purchase them.

Sometimes you can dig and divide ferns that are growing in the wild (depends upon whose property they're growing on!). Just a small part of the fern with roots attached will grow into a healthy plant if you can provide the same growing conditions in your yard as the fern was growing in the wild. Since ferns are propagated through spores you might be able to coax them to grow. Spores are the dark spots on the undersides of the fronds. When they are ripe (in the fall) you can sometimes get them to sprout. They need to grow on a film of water which means the soil needs to be kept constantly moist. it might be worth a try. Or, you may have luck just laying a fern frond with mature spores on the soil in your garden this fall. Fall and winter rains might be enough to coax the spores to sprout.

Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"