Plants dying during transplant - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfield, Ne
Question by vette184
I start my seeds in the Burpee indoor greenhouse kit. They grow nicely and then when they get to a point whre they are way too big for the cover, I have transplanted them into the 3

Plants can suffer from transplant stress if their roots are damaged when you remove them from their original containers, if the roots are allowed to dry out before they're replanted, if they are replanted too deeply, or if you accidentally damage the stems during handling. The best method of transplanting is to prepare the new pots by filling them with moistened potting soil and digging out a little hole (I use a pencil). Lift the seedling with a kitchen fork, making sure you get the entire root mass without breaking off any of the roots. Set the little root package in the hole you've made in the new pot by setting the fork on the top of the soil and easing the transplant into the hole. By transferring with the fork you won't run the risk of crushing the stem or damaging the leaves. If this is too awkward, you can handle the seedlings by the leaves - never the stem. Your plants can grow new leaves but if the stem is crushed, it will die. After setting the transplant into the new pot, make sure it is growing at the same soil level as it was before. If you bury it too deeply the stem will rot. After transplanting water it well to help settle the soil. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"