raised garden - Knowledgebase Question

Redmond, Wa
Question by rekhatalwar
Hi recently I baught a 4*4 raised garden kit. it is about 8 inches deep. I want to grow veg.please let me know how I can use it-should I put landscape fabric before putting soil? I have baught top soil & composte from home depot.I am new to gardening.

0

Most vegetables will need about 12" of root room so in your 8" deep container you'll want to plant smaller growing vegetables such as lettuces, radishes and spinach rather than tomatoes and melons. You won't need landscape fabric. The soil depth will keep any weeds from sprouting from underneath the bed. The only exception might be if there are lots of large trees in the area. Alder, hemlock and cedar roots will seek out the moisture and grow beneath, then up into your raised bed! If this is the case, you can line the bed with hardware cloth or other screening material to discourage the tree roots. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"